The Rumour mill keeps on turning, even on Friday and it’s Heung Min-Son of Hamburg who is the focus of attention today after admitting he is unlikely to renew his contract according to the Metro.
This has alerted both Tottenham Hotspur and Arsenal as they look to strengthen themselves in the forward department. But what can this relatively unknown South Korean offer?
Heung has scored 6 goals in 16 appearances for the team ranked 10th in the Bundesliga and while the volume of goals isn’t overwhelming, the manner in which he takes them is impressive.
17 shots from 17 starts isn’t exactly a fantastic return but 65% of those shots are on target; indicating he picks his chances well despite being relatively uninvolved in the game. What impresses more is that he converts 35% of his chances into goals.
Ability to mould
Heung is only 20 and a notoriously hard worker, pressing from the front and strong in the tackle. In fact, of his 18 attempted tackles this season all 18 have been successful.
He will want to improve his heading and take-on ability but since he is so young and hardworking, clubs may think it is something they can help him with.
Essentially Heung will never be bought to be anything other than a squad player at the moment; he hasn’t got the goalscoring record to justify it. While Arsenal might think one South Korean squad striker who doesn’t play is enough, Tottenham are in dire need of another striker to back up Jermain Defoe and Heung’s desire and workrate might be the ticket.
By Nic English